You may purchase an iPhone or other mobile phone through
Rensselaer's wireless representatives.
iPhone iOS 5
Please note that iOS 5 will not retain its wireless settings
unless this procedure is followed.
- Download and install the iPhone Configuration Utility
available via the Apple
- Start the iPhone Configuration Utility and plug in your
- Click the Configuration Profiles tab.
- Click the General icon and enter
802.1x in both the Name and Identifier
fields under "Identity." (See Figure
- Click the Wi-Fi icon and enter
rpi_802.1x in the Service Set Identifier
field, and make sure a checkmark appears next to the "Auto
Join" and "Hidden Network" options. Security Type should be
set to WEP Enterprise, and
PEAP should be the only enabled
protocol/accepted EAP type. (See Figure
- Click the Authentication tab -- located
between Protocols and Trust under "Enterprise Settings" --
and then enter your RCS userID and associated RCS password in
the Username and Password fields, respectively. (See Figure
- Select the Devices option from the left-hand side of the
window, then click the Configuration
Profiles tab. (See Figure
- Click the Install button to begin
installing the profile on your iOS Device. (See Figure
- Your iOS device will wake up and prompt you to install
the Profile; click Install. (See
Figure 7.) Please note that if you have a passcode, the
device will prompt you to enter that before it will allow you
to install the profile.
- Once the installation is complete, turn on wireless and
your iOS should now connect to the network. If it doesn't,
tap rpi_802.1x in the wireless section of
the iOS device.
iPhone Models Prior to iOS5
The RPI wireless network requires users to authenticate via
802.1X/PEAP (Protected Extensible Authentication Protocol). The
following information provides instructions on how to do
- Make sure that your device has been updated to the latest
software version available.
- Go into Settings and select
- Make sure the Wi-Fi switch is set to
- Under Choose a Network, select
- Enter rpi_802.1x for the Network Name,
and press the Security option.
- Select WPA2 Enterprise as the security,
then press the Other Network button in the
top-left corner to return to the previous screen.
- Enter your RCS userID and password in the appropriate
fields and press the blue Join button in the
- Let the network access load, then press the
Accept button to accept the certificate
You should now have full connectivity to the network.
Configuring Your iPhone to Use Rensselaer's IMAP
Use the following instructions to configure your iPhone's
e-mail client to use Rensselaer's IMAP mail service.
- Go to Settings.
- Tap the Mail, Contacts and Calendars
- Tap Add Account.
- If you wish to add your RPI e-mail account, tap
Other; if you want to use a popular service
such as Gmail or Yahoo Mail, tap the name of the
- Tap Add Mail Account.
- In the appropriate fields, enter your name as you want it
to appear to others when you send a message, as well as your
e-mail address and your RCS password.
- Enter mail.rpi.edu under Hostname, and
your RCS userID and password under Incoming Mail server.
- Re-enter the information again under Outgoing mail
server. (Although this is the same information as you entered
in the previous step, it is necessary for you to enter it a
second time to confirm all of the settings.)
- Under Advanced, make sure that SSL is
selected and that the port is set to port
- Tap Finish and close the Settings page
to complete the IMAP setup.
Using the Exchange server
Only the iPhone 3G[S] is allowed to connect
to an RPI Exchange account for sending and receiving email or
wireless synchronization of calendar, and/or contacts. More
information on MobEx @ Rensselaer is available in the
MobEx Service Policy Statement.
The iPhone uses a version of the Safari web browser, and the
user interface, display, and navigation are excellent. While
the iPhone's Safari implementation does not support Flash or
Java, Rensselaer has tailored a mobile version of our Web Site
to make use of the iPhone browser, which can be found at the Portable Rensselaer website.
While the iPhone is truly an exciting device which has
broadly influenced the mobile device market, each of you should
decide whether to purchase an iPhone for Rensselaer business,
based on recommendations and information from your department's
computer support staff.